It is currently Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bullet -- Black Lab
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:37 pm 

This is our good dog Bullet. My husband's brother found him with a gunshot wound, half dead, lying outside of town by the septic lagoons. He took him to the vet and got him doctored and cared for--the vet said just leave the bullet in, it would do more harm to try and remove it. My brother-in-law already had two dogs, and since we were dogless at the time, we decided to take him and named him Bullet.

He is a great dog. Will come when called, sit, shake hands, and walk quietly on the leash. We let him in the house quite a bit, until the night I went into labor with our first child--I remember Bullet chewed up the couch pillow that night. He sensed something wasn't quite right.

He does have the "lab" tendency to need to get out and run. We have a fenced in yard that has a ramp up to our deck he can go out and play in. But he has learned to jump from the ramp to the top of his fence and leap down and run away. He always comes back, refreshed after an hour's run, but the neighbors and town folks aren't very happy with him sometimes.

He is perfect around the kids though, you really couldn't ask for a better dog. I am not quite the dog-lover my husband is--I prefer them outside, but we always had a dog on the place when I was growing up, and it just seems right to have a good family dog. And Bullet is just right for that.

Here are a few photos of him with our daughter:

Post subject: Re: Bullet -- Black Lab
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 pm 

He's very cute! How old is he? Labs are great family dogs but so many end up without homes because people mistake them for a good first dog - they are good first dogs but people don't realize how incredibly HYPER they are! Especially in their youth! Never owned a lab but one of my friends has one and she is just the happiest damn thing alive. If there is one thing I love about dogs it's that they give me initiative to go out for a run - my dobie loves taking runs with me! My Great Pyr won't run haha. Looks like your daughter loves him a lot! I've heard that the black labs are the most docile of the labs - followed by yellow labs who are kinda crazy and chocolate labs who are INSANE! Haha, I want a chocolate lab! :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:51 am 

We aren't sure how old Bullet is, since he was just found outside town with a gunshot wound. The vet thought he was at least 2 years old, but we think now he has a little more age on him than that. We've had him for over 4 years now, and he has gray hairs under his muzzle and shows a little stiffness when he first gets up out of his bed.

Our daughter keeps asking for a puppy, but I'm a little reluctant to babysit one through that hyper-chew-everything stage! :roll: Bullet is really good for the kids at the age they are now (4 and 20 months), and when they're old enough to help care for a puppy we'll probably get them one.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:19 pm 

Don't blame you for not wanting to deal with a puppy - they are loads and loads and loads of work. I think your daughter would get a kick out of going to your local animal shelter and picking out a dog who really needs a home, whenever you're ready for that. Once I move out I know that I'll be headed to the animal shelter and picking a dog out myself! :D I don't see the harm of doing it while Bullet it still around - if anything it'll help your new dog and it will make the day that he does leave a bit easier on the rest of the family.