It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Coping With "Separation Anxiety"
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 am 

What do you do with a "buddy sour" horse? Some horses whinny constantly when you're riding them, always looking for other horses or their friends back at the barn. Other horses will snort, rear, buck, toss their heads, and run away with you when you try riding them away from the other horses. What is the best thing you have found that helps wean your horse from the others?

A trainer told me to tie my mare away from the others for two hours a day, making sure she was safely tied and supervised. I was told the stomping, neighing, and nervousness would go away after five repetitive days of tying her. Any other ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:09 pm 

Daisy...
I think we may be the only two people that chat on this site :-0. Here is what I think about separation anxiety... I think horses experience "buddy sour" problems when they are not completely connected with their "person". All horses look for leadership, either from their horse friends or their rider. I try to get my horses to believe that when they are with me they don't need anyone else. O.K. so how do we get our horses to see us as the sole heard leader :wink: ?... I think we must spend oodles of time with them in and out of the saddle. We have to actually be the herd leader. I try to get my horses to "want to please me". I have to do that or we are "cooked" at horse shows. There is always so much going on that my horses have to be tuned into me instead of everything else. They still look around and snort a little, but they feel secure and know that I will take care of them. In short "BE THE ALPHA" :D . Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:12 pm 

Thanks for your answer, ASBSrock. I know you're right, and I think spending more time with my mare would solve a lot of problems, in addition to her whinnying. I know it is expecting a lot of her to only ride once in awhile, and she doesn't get much attention and support from me in between rides. She is seven years old, but her training and experience equals about what a two year old would have, since she hadn't been ridden at all when I bought her. She was just out running with broodmares, and though very gentle, had no experience under saddle. I really like her, and will try to spend more time with her this summer. Thanks for your answer!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:26 pm 

Hi, I know how you feel! I ride with my neighbor all of the time, and her horse is buddy sour. He is getting way better now that he is away from mares. :wink: And he's a GELDING! He still runs up and down the fence when my neighbor isn't riding him and the rest of us are, but he is SO MUCH better. But, I guess it could help her alot to spend some time with him in between rides. She doesn't really do that. Good luck!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 10:20 pm 

My dad never liked to keep mares with our ranch geldings, because he claimed it would make the geldings worry about getting back to the barn to hang out with the mares. It seemed like it did work that way; our broodmares were always kept separate, but we had one mare who was great with cattle and worked so well that we kept her up with the geldings. Even our oldest, most reliable geldings would whinny in her direction!

My mare is the "boss" in our corral. She is queen of the castle and can be mean to Cricket and Milo over grain or the best pile of hay. But take one of the other horses out of the corral, and she is looking after them anxiously, whinnying, and worrying that they are going to leave her. She just seems really insecure as a horse. She's really sweet to handle, except for her occasional blow-ups for wanting to return to the barn. Thanks for your input; she just needs a lot of my attention, and I'm way too busy to give her everything she needs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:12 am 

Mine is the boss, too! He can be a little ornery though. But, he is so great! :lol: