It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ground driving - question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:21 pm 

I hope this is where this goes??

I have a question - I ground drove Chief today - I have the long lines threaded through the very bottom rings of his surcingle and I have him in a D-ring eggbutt snaffle. While I was driving him, he would turn fine, but he wouldn't stay next to the rails. And I tried to get him to move by using the long lines.... if I'm wanting him to move over to the right, this is what I would do - I would tighten the grip on the left rein (closing the door) and opening the right long line (opeing the door) - and he doesn't get it. Am I doing something wrong? How do I get him to move over closer to the left or the right?

Thank you for your suggestions and your help....

Post subject: Re: Ground driving - question
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:58 pm 

I'm not great at long reining (and this is what I assume you're talking about???) but all of the horses I have done it with naturally move their bodies where you move your feet without even moving the reins. Other then that, I have no advice.... :?:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:25 pm 

Brandi, I'm assuming Chief is in the beginning stages, so he's probably used to direct rein pressure. So the left rein contact to move him to the right is most likely very confusing to him. I would think to start out with this, you would need only right rein pressure to direct him over towards the rail. If it were me, I would use the reins as if I were on his back, and use only direct rein signals (right to turn right and left to turn left). Otherwise, I would think it would be confusing, since he is feeling the rein pressure from the bit.

I think once you're riding him, he will learn to give to pressure on his sides from your leg, but I doubt if the lines are enough for him to even feel at this point, it's basically just a pull on his mouth, and that's going to cue him left, not right.

If I misunderstood your description, correct me. But that's my take on long-lining/ground driving. It's great to teach a horse the basics and have him controllable before you ever step foot in the stirrup. Good work! You are motivating me to get my own horses to working.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:55 am 

I think it will just take more practice for him to give to the pressure and move into the opening you're making with the reins. Keep trying, see what works with him. Good luck!