It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Maybe a dumb question--posting?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:24 pm 

Do you post when you ride Western?

Post subject: Re: Maybe a dumb question--posting?
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:25 am 

Trixie,

The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask. :lol:

Yes, I do post riding western. I have never had a riding lesson in my life, so I'm not sure how correct it is, but you do need to move with the horse when riding, or you will get very tired and sore. At a walk and a lope you should sit, but at the trot you will find it easier if you do a slight "sit, stand, sit, stand" with the motion of the horse.

I have taken groups of people who have never ridden before on trail rides, and they often ask what is the best way to ride. I have found that posting is very hard to describe to beginners, but after a rider has spent hours in the saddle it just comes naturally. I think if you ride at a trot for very long at all, you'll figure it out. :wink: The trot is usually very uncomfortable if you try to sit, unless of course you're riding one of those Western Pleasure "shufflers", lol!

Anyway, it will come to you as you ride, or perhaps you'll take some lessons and your trainer can help you.

Don't worry about asking questions! That's what this forum is for! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:59 pm 

I was never taught to post when riding Western. I used to do barrels and my barrel horse had a jig that was somewhere between a walk and a trot and he was so smooth that it was work to trot, it was easier to just sit down. It also depends on the way the horse has been trained - some western horses will slow down in confusion if their rider starts to post to their trot. Since becoming an English convert, I haver found it 100x easier to post when trotting. It keeps my body engaged and it makes me focus. It's also way more comfortable if you're riding a Western horse.

No dumb questions! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:40 am 

I think the difference in how you ride depends on how your horse is trained and what his gaits are like.

Lauren's horse had a nice Western jog, from the sound of it, and she was able to sit comfortably. An extended trot would probably be a different story, though.

I think it's okay to ride however your body tells you to ride. If it feels right to sit, sit. If you are getting your teeth jarred out of your head at the trot, by all means stand up in those stirrups! I learned to ride by just climbing on and going as a little tyke. If you've got an instructor who is telling you how to sit and what posture to have, that's all fine and good, but I think your body can tell you what's best for you and the horse. The more you ride, the more comfortable you will be.