It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:19 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Chief's 3rd Lesson
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:39 am 

I haven't posted in a while but I have been busy and FRUSTRATED with my horse. Let's see last lesson she wanted me to ride him in the rope halter to getting him to bend to the left easier. Well I rode him in the arena with 2 other horses BIG MISTAKE - he wanted to go where he wanted to go and not where I wanted him to go. So we aren't riding in the arena with other horses for a while. He wouldn't turn and I couldn't make him turn. But the fact that I'm still getting use to split reins could be part of the problem. :? Anyway so I went back to the round pen and he wasn't really doing anything for me in there either so I gave up. I know bad deal but what do you do when your horse is strong and bull headed and your a green rider. So I went back out Friday and tried again nothing. I was so mad that I was crying in frustration. Texted my trainer and told her about what happened and she come out Sunday. :bounce: with her spurs!! :lol:

Let's just say that Chief got a wake up call! Big time - she wasn't mean in anyway, but she got her point across to him. She said that he has to come off the bit and lower his head. So she showed me how to take the split reins up between his legs and tie them to saddle to get him to lower his head. But I was doing that Monday and I noticed that the bit was seeing-sawing in his mouth which I'm going to take that means that I have the reins to tight?? :?

So I have been riding him ever since Sunday and he's been doing good. Monday I took him out to a different area and he wasn't doing anything for me. When I asked for a left turn he would bend his head and keep walking forward :madasheck: so I got off led him into the round pen and we did lots of figure 8 against the panels of the round pen. It wasn't fast but it was getting him to bend. Tonight I'm going to try to ride him in the arena, by himself to see how well he does. I think since I've kept him in the round pen I feel more confident then I was Monday. So we'll see how it goes. Wish me luck!

Brandi

Post subject: Re: Chief's 3rd Lesson
PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:04 pm 

6/03/2010
Rode him again last night and he did well. I think he's finally giving up the fight to NOT to turn left - in the round pen at least. I don't know if I'll get to ride him tonight or not considering I have Sunfest (it's kinda like a arts/crafts/music etc) and my Obedience club is going to be having a booth out there.

But next time I ride him I'm going to try to get him into the arena to see how well he does there.

Oh and someone on here asked me if I'm teaching him to round his back and collect himself. One of the things my trainer is having me do is teach him to get off the bit. So last time she was out (i have split reins) she took each of the reins between his legs and tied them up on the saddle, so his head his at the vertical. But one of the things she said is that we need to get him off the bit and get him to work off his hindquarters more. He liked to stay on his front end to much. So she also said that I need to do lots of backing with him - lot of backing to keep to think back and on my hindquarters.

But anyway I will try to keep a more updated 'jounal' so you all can follow his progress!

Brandi