It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Do you use a tackaberry?
Yes 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
No 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
I've never heard of a tackaberry! 50%  50%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 4
 Post subject: Has Anyone Ever Heard of a Tackaberry?
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:51 pm 

I'm not sure if "tackaberries" are obsolete, but I can't find them in my horse supply catalogue. We used them on the ranch when I was a kid. They are a little metal buckle type thing that you attach to your latigo so that you don't unwrap your latigo completely and it makes cinching up much easier and quicker. There is a groove that catches the cinch ring and then a little tongue-like tab that fits in the holes of the latigo to secure it when you have it tightened. When you're ready to unsaddle, you simply loosen the latigo a little, slip the cinch off the groove of the tackaberry, and the saddle is loose and ready to take off the horse.
Does anyone know where you can buy these, and does anyone else use them anymore?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:27 pm 

i have to admit i've never heard of one. but my wife griped me out for not knowing what they are!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:13 pm 

There's one on my saddle, but I can't remember where I got it from.

Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of a Tackaberry?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 3:08 am 

DaisyKJ wrote:
I'm not sure if "tackaberries" are obsolete, but I can't find them in my horse supply catalogue. We used them on the ranch when I was a kid. They are a little metal buckle type thing that you attach to your latigo so that you don't unwrap your latigo completely and it makes cinching up much easier and quicker. There is a groove that catches the cinch ring and then a little tongue-like tab that fits in the holes of the latigo to secure it when you have it tightened. When you're ready to unsaddle, you simply loosen the latigo a little, slip the cinch off the groove of the tackaberry, and the saddle is loose and ready to take off the horse.
Does anyone know where you can buy these, and does anyone else use them anymore?

I'd heard of them but I still went ahead and googled them as it has been awhile since I'd last seen them......

http://adamagsupply.com/tackaberry-buckle.html

Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Ever Heard of a Tackaberry?
PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 10:32 am 

That's it! Thank you, SS! I sure miss having one sometimes...I think someone lost it off my latigo when they were carrying my saddle someplace. They're easy to lose if someone else unsaddles your horse, because they don't know not to undo the latigo all the way, and the buckle slips off.

My husband got me one at a tack store, but it was shaped too small for my cinch ring. I'll have to order one of these and try it out.