It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Feeding Again
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:54 pm 

I think I need to change my feeding program and here's why I think that -

Right now both my 4 year old MFT and my soon to be yearling are on SafeChoice by Nutrena. My barn owner uses plastic coffee cans to measure out feed. One can is 39oz (2lbs 7oz) and the other can is 34.5 oz (2lbs 2.5oz)

Using the 39oz can I weighted a whole can of Safe Choice which comes out to be 4lbs 1oz (using a plastic sack and a scale that you weigh fish with) - I believe my barn owner is giving Chief 3/4 of a can, I weighted what I thought 3/4 of a can was and it comes out to be 2lbs and 7oz. I've taken him off of pasture and he's only getting grain and hay - my barn owner gives him his morning feedings, if I work him I give him a little extra grain and hay. And I think he has lost a little bit of weight. On the bag of Safe Choice it says Light Exercise 0.50 to 0.75 which I think right now what I am doing with him I would consider light exercie.

OH - and I do have Empower mixed in with the Safe Choice which I find out today that that's bad for Chief considering that he needs to loose weight....so that's why if I do give him grain at night with out a workout it's a tiny bit. I know I goofed....

Now on to Scout - he will turn a year at the end of this month. I don't think he's getting what he needs - I can see his spine and he's really thin on top of his ribs. I believe that the barn owner is giving him a full can of grain in the morning, not sure if he's getting hay in the mornings or not but he does have pasture 24/7 and I have been giving him extra at night at least 1lb if not.

Here's what I'm thinking:

Keep Chief on SafeChoice - keep him off of pasture, give him grain/hay in the morning.... and give him a tiny bit in the evening and hay - a little more if he's worked. But I think I'm going to work him regardless of weather, I need to ride him more often even if it's at a walk. Do you agree???

Scout, take him off of Safe Choice - my other horse forums are saying that I need to put both of them on Enrich 32 by Purina http://www.horse.purinamills.com/products/Enrich32.asp- my feed store owner said that if I do that then I need to stress to my barn owner that it needs to be measured out and no more then what the bag recommends for growing horses.... The protein levels and the Lysine levels is what my growing colt needs right now - or I could put him on Omolene #200 which is for growing horses from yearlings to mature horses http://www.horse.purinamills.com/produc ... ne_200.asp

Tell me what you think???

Brandi

Train, Don't Complain

www.obediencetrainingclubofbartlesville.com

Post subject: Re: Feeding Again
PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:02 pm 

As someone who only owned one very easy keeper (he ate like 2 scoops of some very generic chunk food twice a day + hay) I have absolutely no idea! I would maybe put Scout on some sort of special yearling feed for horses who need lots of nutrients for growing... Have you consulted with your vet?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:13 pm 

Brandi--

As far as Chief, it sounds like a good plan. If he's overweight, I think you could lay off the grain except as a treat (put in his feed pan) after you ride or just before you leave the barn at the end of the day. Forage is so much better for a horse than grain, and it will save you money anyway. That's my opinion.

For Scout, I would keep feeding him hay as long as he cleans it up. For instance, he's turned out on pasture 24/7 but he may not have a taste for it yet, and it might not be filling him if the grass isn't really strong yet. I would make sure your barn owner gives him a little hay every morning, and voice your concerns to him that you think Scout is a little thin and needs it as he's growing so much right now. If he doesn't eat the hay by the time you get there in the afternoon/evening, then he doesn't need more. If it's all gone, I'd give him another flake or two. I always try to judge a horse's nutritional needs by what they will eat if given the opportunity. Hate to see a horse hungry. :P However, if he's on such good pasture that he won't touch the hay, it's a waste to keep throwing it to him. As far as grain, the Omilene sounds good but I usually feed a basic protein mix to my horses and don't buy the specialized grains, so I don't really have a qualified opinion. Don't skimp on the forage, that's basically what I would tell you.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 12:25 pm 

I have Scout on Omolene 200 and he's already looking better, and Chief is only getting a little bit of grain in the morning. But I'm starting riding lessons on him so he's going to be getting a little more exercise...